'Terraform' explores cyclic-visual pattern and audio generation through cellular automata.
Beyond just 2-state cells (on/off), 'Terraform' cell states exist in the HSB colour
space, any cell can effectively be any Hue, Saturation and Brightness.
All cells start white except a single seed cell (centre row, far left) which is turrned red, the use
of red is appropriate due to the rule set.
There are two rule sets: one for cells and one for audio:
- If I am a cell on the edge of the grid, ignore me
- Calculate the average H,S and B values across the nearest 3 cells in the column to my left, if I am at row J then use cells J-1, J and J+1.
- Increment my own H, S and B values by these averages
- Decrement my S value by 0.1
- If my S value is 0 then reset to 0xffffff
The following constants were determined as suitable 'biting points' for triggering audio based on viewing a trace
of the average HSB over a period of time. The sounds were created with Bfxr
and then randomly
assigned to each rule, some trial and error was needed to replace sounds which didn't work.
- Calculate the average H, A and B values across the entire grid
- If S > 0.95: Play sound 16
- If S > 0.8: Play sound 15
- If h > 200: Play sound 15
- If h > 150: Play sound 3
- If v > 0.8: Play sound 14
- If v > 0.7: Play sound 10